Saturday, August 18, 2012

NINE days until school starts!

I know. I'm not in school anymore, right?

Why am I counting down the days?

Welcome to the life of a public librarian. We work through the summer. Not only do we work, but we work hard.

Yes, I know. There isn't a whole lot of heavy lifting involved in being a librarian. Oh, don't get me wrong...those book carts can get pretty heavy and once, this summer, I had to carry two boxes containing 500 heavy medals* from one side of the building to the other. I kid you not, my arms were shaking for the rest of the day.

But the hard work I speak of is keeping your composure and public face on all day. Every day. All summer long. Even after repeatedly pointing out the display of Wimpy Kid books and explaining why the performer series is for kids and if we allowed parents to attend, a child would not be able to see the fill in the blank.

I love people and love my job but after three months of heavy usage, I am looking forward to my friends getting to spend more time with my school counterparts!

And to be honest, I can feel my forced smile starting to show. No sense in frightening the children...

*Not heavy metal - no lead in the library, although I think we have some Metallica CDs in our music collection.



No comments: