Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Monthly Book Club - Wife 22

So, one of my new year's resolutions was to start a book club for adults...in my neighborhood.


Me not sharing books with those around me is like the cobbler's kids going with holes in their shoes, right?

This will be our 4th meeting.

So far we have read: Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker, which we thought was so-so; The Fault in our Stars by John Green which we all loved; Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, which we liked pretty well.



This month is Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon. It is the story of a wife who has frustrated with her husband and marriage, and expresses her concerns as part of an online survey of the modern marriage. After a period of time she starts having feelings for her online interviewer.

Billed as smart chick lit, I felt that overall it fell short. I didn't find the character all that sympathetic, sort of like "poor little rich suburban housewife." I think the message was meant to be that in this day and age it is easier to communicate with a person online than it is in person.  I don't agree. 

The ending was a bit predictable, and anyone who grew up in the 70s will recognize the reference.

The idea behind the club is simple...to read outside of the box.  For me this means adult, but for many it just means keeping up with some titles that they may have missed in their day to day lives. 

Next month we are reading a children's novel.  I am curious to see if WONDER is as well received as TFiOS was.

No comments: