Thursday, June 12, 2008

Frogs by Nic Bishop


Check out:
Frogs by Nic Bishop
2008
Scholastic Press
ISBN: 9780439877558

I belong to a group of librarians and educators that reviews books and selects what we believe to be the top 100. Texas Woman’s University Press then publishes a book with these titles called Librarian’s Choices.

We just met this past week and my professor brought this book to our attention. I thought it looked interesting but we were all talking about our books and it was kind of hectic. Someone took her copy for a second look.

Today, as I was reviewing new books being added to the library’s collection and I came across the book. I got to look and read it a little more leisurely and all I can say is WOW.

The language in it is simple but you can tell that the author looks at his subject matter with a child’s sense of wonder. “A bullfrog tadpole may take two years to turn into a small frog. Then it crawls out of the water, ready to explore its new surroundings.” In the book the second sentence is written in a different size and colored font, making your eyes leap to that point.

As an amateur photographer, I can’t help envying Nic Bishop’s skill. One of the shots has a frog caught in mid-air with a spray of water behind him, tongue stretched out before him, straining to reach his prey….and unsuspecting caterpillar. I would like to think that he has better equipment and more opportunities than I do. But that would just be sour grapes. The shots are gorgeous in high definition and vivid colors.

The book is written at an early elementary level, but frog loving readers above and below that level will still hop with delight over this book.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I also fell in love with this book when I saw it. It came to my library from the Junior Library Guild. What an awesome find!