Thursday, June 19, 2008

Summer of the Sequels - Artemis Fowl

No...I am not talking about the new Indiana Jones movie!!! I am talking about BOOKS! And what a summer it is going to be for books. There are so many new chapters in some of the series that I am reading that I am about to burst! I don't know where I will find time to read them all...but trust me, I WILL FIND TIME! Here are a few that are nearest and dearest to my heart!

Artemis Fowl (series) by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl is a young man who wants to make a name for himself. His father is missing and their family fortune is in jeapordy, so Artemis, genius that he is, devises a plan...he is going to steal the fairies' gold.

Yup. You heard right. Fairies' gold. When I first started listening to this story (on audiobook) I was completely surprised at how well the author slipped that one by me. I was going along thinking that this was just another action story, when all the sudden there were fairies and centaurs and goblins, oh my!

Seriously, this is not your typical fairy story. Holly Short is an elf that is on her way to perform an ancient ritual that will "recharge" her powers...that is when Artemis strikes and takes her captive. Her commander, Root, and the rest of the team at LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police...what did you think it stood for?) including the ever entertaining Foaly, a centaur who wear an aluminum foil hat to prevent the people above ground from scanning his brain. Well, this portion of the story segues into a further adventure and soon Artemis is working side by side with the people from LEPrecon. There are many adventures in store!

I have to confess that I have never read one of these books. I have listened to the whole series on audio and now that they newest chapter of the Artemis series is coming out, I can't help but wonder...will I be able to wait to get this on audio? Or will I have to read it immediately?

A word on the audio version. The reader, Nathaniel Parker is amazing! He does all of the charecter voices so well, that you have a hard time beleiving it is the same person reading all of the parts. If you read or listen to the series, there is an episode where Artemis shifts back to his initial bad attitude and when Nathaniel Parker reverts to his initial "Artemis" tone and voice you say...."Oh my gosh...I hadn't realized how much he had changed over the course of these books!" What an excellent testement to Eoin Colfer's writting and Nathaniel Parker's reading.

Personal note: I have a son named Owen and when I was pregnant with him, my father in law asked if we were going to use the "proper" Irish spelling. We didn't, spelling it Owen, naming him for our great uncle. Now Owen, a huge fan of Eoin, writes on his name on all of his school work "Owen/Eoin".

Second peronal note: My friend Amy got to meet Eoin Colfer at Book Expo America! I am soooo jealous.

So...aren't you chomping at the bit to read them! Here they are in order:

Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl and the Arctic Incident

Artemis Fowl and the Eternity Code

Artemis Fowl and the Opal Deception

Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony

AND COMING SOON! (July 15th...or 22nd for us audio fans!) Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox

No comments: